Saturday, January 12, 2013

Family Time

I haven't been drawing much the last few days because we were out of town visiting family.   We spent lots of time with my two-year-old niece.   I'm determined to make sure she grows up with a love of crafts, so I planned out two projects for us to make.   It was a lot more work than I thought it would be, but we all had a great time and the finished projects turned out great!

We made bird seed hearts to hang on the trees outside using this great tutorial at hellobee.  We used honey instead of corn syrup and larger bird seed full of nuts.  Next time, I would stick to the small bird seed which I think would hold together better.   My niece really enjoyed making them, as well as waiting for the birds to come and eat them.  She kept saying, "Come on birdies, eat your hearts!"

The second project we made was salt dough handprints and footprints.  This tutorial at Imagination Tree was very helpful; the one difference was I rolled the dough between parchment paper instead of onto a bowl.   I was thankful the dough was so forgiving to allow us to start over multiple times.  It was quite the adventure to get her to keep still and not grab at the dough under her little fingers and toes!   After they dried, she painted them with help from a bunch of family members, so it was a nice project and memory for everyone.

#021   01/12/2013




I also was able to fit in one new drawing.  My mom really likes hearts, so that was the inspiration for this one.


This original artwork card is available on my Etsy shop (while it lasts)!

No comments:

Post a Comment